Pages

Ruby in the world of Recommendations (also machine learning, statistics and visualizations)

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Hello everyone!

I am back with lots of news and articles! I've been quite busy but I returned. In this post I'd like to share my last presentation that I gave at Frevo On'Rails Pernambuco Ruby Meeting at Recife, PE. My  Ruby developer colleagues around Recife invited me to give a lecture there.  I was quite excited about the invitation and instanlty I accepted.

I decided to research more about scientific computing with Ruby and recommender libraries written focused on Ruby either.  Unfortunately the escossistem for scientific environment in Ruby is still at very beginning.  I found several libraries but most of them were abandoned by their developers or commiters.  But I didn't give up and decided to refine my searches. I found a espectular and promising work on scientific computing with ruby called SciRuby. The goal is to por several matrix and vector representations with Ruby using C and C++ at backend. It remembered me a lot the beginnings of the library Numpy and Scipy :)

About the recommenders, I didn't find any deep work as Mahout, but I found a library called Recommendable that uses memory-based collaborative filtering.  I really liked the design of the library and the workaround of the developer on making the linear algebra operations with Redis instead of Ruby :D

All those considerations and more insights I put on my slides, feel free to share :)



I hope you enjoyed, and even I love Python, I really like programming another languages :)


Regards,

Marcel

4 comments:

  1. Hi Marcel,

    You might want to check up also MDArray. I´ve just released version 0.5.5.

    Cheers,


    Rodrigo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Information.....Please refer this also
    Best QTP Training in Chennai,

    QTP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your information. QTP provide most precise and independent review about a software application. This automation testing tool is ideal to determine the performance and validity of a software application. QTP Training In Chennai

    ReplyDelete